This place would win the award for "place most in need of a facelift" as it's literally falling apart inside and if it weren't for the fact of someone sitting behind the desk you'd think it was closed down. BUT, I had to use them 5 times last year and each time I was very impressed, for the following reasons:
1. Easy pick-ups (normally all done within 5 mins), they just hand you the key and a stamped parking ticket and you collect from the basement hotel carpark.
2. I got a free/reduced upgrade at least 3 times, once from an Economy car to an Audi TT convertible!! (well, it was the day of the London tube strikes to be fair, so they'd ran out and I'd pre-booked)
3. Their one week rentals (or anything more than 3/4 days) are really good value. You can get an Economy car for a week with unlimited mileage from only £140ish.
4. You can collect Nectar points AND cashback (with cashbackkings cashbackkings.com/?ruid=… ) with Hertz, saving even more money!
5. Drop-offs were easy too, just park the car outside the office and hand the key in (if the office is closed you hand it in at the Hotel reception)
The only negatives were that the office opening hours aren't great, and you often need this kind of service outside of office hours. Also, the staff were a bit hit 'n' miss (but who wouldn't be working in the office from the 80s?!)
The best rent-a-car service ever. You just pay and they give you the key for the car. Cars are always clean and without bad odour. Their weekend rates are excellent and this is the best way to do family road trip.
This is my preferred option if I want to hire a car for the weekend. Firstly, the staff are always friendly and efficient. Secondly, you are able to rent a car from this branch and return it on a Sunday (unlike many). My only gripe is that whenever I rent a car I am never given what I have asked for (a Focus like equivalent). So far, I have driven away in a multitude of saloons, MPVs and SUVs which whilst fine isn't what I have asked for and aren't really suited to London's streets. A small point - otherwise this branch does exactly what it should.
I rented a car from the Southampton Row Branch of Hertz over the summer, and the person at the counter asked me if I would like to pay the London Congestion Charge Fee. I of course said yes -- there is really no choice -- and went on my way. A month later, I got a letter from Hertz saying that I had been charged GBP120 for violating the congestion charge. When I complained about this to Hertz, they ended up refunding me the small congestion charge fee AND NOT THE FINE! When I complained about this, I got an infuriating email thanking me for my inquiry and confirming that they have charged my credit card for the amount of the fine. It seems that they are almost willfully refusing to address the problem. I can't recommend that anyone rent anything from Hertz.
This user has arrived from Qype, a European company acquired by Yelp in 2012. We have integrated the two sites to bring you one great local experience.