The hotel staff are great and are very willing to help which is a luxury upon checking in and while asking for directions.
I checked into a double room as a single person and was upgraded to an executive suite which was a pleasant surprise. Here are the pros and cons of the hotel.
- free parking below the hotel - ultra convenient
- check out time was noon
- hotel room was well cleaned and had a few perks like a bathroom and slippers
- although the hotel is far from the center of London, the walk to the train station is very close by
- free WiFi which had a good steady connection (but I think this was because my room was upgraded, otherwise I would have had to pay)
- bed was really comfortable with proper linens
- no clock in the room (I found this very odd)
- wakeup call was 10 min late
- inadequate lightening - several bulbs burned out and not replaced which made for a dimly lit room
- breakfast buffet downstairs was way below par for nearly paying £15 - many entrees were not re-filled, only one approach to the table for coffee and tea, had to go up front to pay because server could not be found, used dishes were not cleared off the table in a timely fashion and finally the selection of breakfast items were horrible.
Overall this hotel exceeded my expectation with the room upgrade for the price I paid coupled with excellent customer service. However, the room's minor offenses were very incidental next to the restaurant's inadequacies.
I would not stay at this hotel again. It is just a few blocks from my mothers home, but she had a problem with mold in her guest room, so I stayed here for 4 nights.
This was my experience:
Unfriendly, snooty front desk staff, they couldn't even smile.
A maintenance man use his key-card to walk in my room while I was there sitting on the bed, no knock, no call ahead and obviously no communication between maintenance and the rest of the staff as to why he needed to walk in my room, he said, oh sorry and ran out. All I got was an apology from the night manager.
Charge an expensive fee to use the business room and access the Internet.
Bath tub very tall to step into shower
Marble bathroom tile floor was to slippery when wet. No/low COF (coefficient of friction).
No clock in rooms
Nauseating varnish smell every morning when polishing or cleaning hallway wood room doors
This was a funny hotel, we just used it to crash before doing The London to Brighton Land Rover Run. The room was okay and the bed was large and comfy. The pool was useless, just good enough to have a splash, but beware, all visitors must wear a swim has, sorry but I don't do hats, take a look at my ears. The bar seemed to have it's fair share of strange people, it looked like the good people of Croydon came to the bar for a night out, weid!!!
Anyway it was cheap so one can't complain and it had secure underground parking, but if you have a L R Defender take care, I only had about a 3 inch clearance, if you have a roof rack it's a no go.
Dont expect any sleep here. We witnessed hundreds of people crowded into a small lobby when we arrived for a funeral which meant you could get no where near check in. The noise could be heard all over the hotel and then the drunken beahviour began from certain football fans who were staying the night. As we left for bed the police arrived but noise through rooms is just as bad as the singing coming from the lobby. You get what you pay for I suppose.
Am with very mixed feelings, had my wedding arranged there, reception was all fine, food very good, staff friendly and helpful, but now comes the big disappointment: Three weeks after (!!!) check-out the banqueting coordinator contacted me saying that one night had not been billed for a friend of mine who attended my wedding. It turned out that the staff missed to take my friend's details (her personal details, not to mention credit card details) and that they were now trying to cash it. I gave my friend's contact details, but when she did not pay after some time the same banqueting manager started to THREATEN ME that they would SUE ME if I did not pay or make my friend pay within 5 days!!! I have never experienced anything similar and I have travelled a lot! Hence, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone, what a shame!
This user has arrived from Qype, a European company acquired by Yelp in 2012. We have integrated the two sites to bring you one great local experience.